Monday, November 12, 2018

No Guru Here

Three years ago, my husband JR and I moved from a 2000 sq. ft home in the suburbs to a home in the country less than half the size, 880 sq. ft. Our first home was almost 3000 sq ft, so we were no strangers to downsizing.  We whittled our possessions down to our favorites and settled in to the country life with our menagerie of animals, 3 large dogs, 5 cats and 2 rabbits.  JR worked mostly from home, so we stuck him in a corner in the spare room and I started dreaming of gardens, farm animals, self-sufficiency and a quiet, simple life.
A year later, we built a garage, larger than our home, settled JR into his new “office” and started filling it up.  Around this time, my oldest daughter surprised us with our first grandchild and we went a little nuts with buying stuff for the baby.  We also acquired miniature donkeys, started raising chickens and built coops and pens.  I started caring for other children to give our granddaughter playmates and money to help pay for toys, mostly, and our youngest daughter’s upcoming wedding.  
And here we are, once again drowning in stuff.  Although I am not a big spender or a mall shopper, I am a “lots of little things”, shopper and have learned in my years of buying “lots of little things” how to stack, store and organize “lots of little things”.  BUT IT’S TOO MUCH.  
It’s time to get serious and focus on what makes me happy.  It might not be what makes everyone happy, but that’s okay.  Join me, if you like, in my quest for a simpler life, a healthier life, a more frugal life where the focus is on happiness and quality of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment