Monday, March 14, 2011

And She Was Run Ning and Run Ning

My friend, Nancy and I, signed up to run a 10K in Austin, March 27 and I think we are nuts.  It isn't like we actually enjoy long distance running.  I much prefer interval running which takes 30 minutes tops.  I always feel like I have worked out good and hard when I run intervals.  When I run longer distances, things start hurting:  knees, my foot, my side, all different areas.  But oh well.  I haven't ever run a 10K before and it will be an experience.  Last year 20,000 people were in this race and supposedly, from what Nancy says, Mathew McConaughey runs in it every year.  I'll also get to see Morgan and Tonya, too and spend the night in a Holiday Express with JR.  :)  (He has points)

My garden has been planted and little green buds are poking through the soil.  The pleasure this gives me is inexpressible!  Whether they are grass or weeds or what is actually supposed to come up, I won't know until they are bigger.  I know for a fact my onions are coming up, my peas, my cantaloupe, and my squash are growing.

Today it is raining a nice soaking rain and I'm sure the whole garden will appreciate it.  I know I will.  I use rain water from our collection tank and since I'm opposed to using the hose, I take numerous bucketfuls of water from the tank to the garden, back and forth, back and forth.  The hose needs a pump to give it a little pressure because now the water just trickles out and it drives me CRAZY!  It's like watching paint dry.  A little more exercise never hurt me anyhow.

Speaking of exercise, I ran this morning, 1 minute intervals for 20 min to total 2 miles.  I was pretty sweaty and the house was humid, so I started opening windows.  BIG huge kudos to JR for making all those screens last year.  My intention was I was going to finish up my workout with a 30 minute DVD of some sort after opening the windows.

I have a set of windows over the kitchen sink that have always been tight.  I pulled over a chair and climbed half up on the granite counters to hoist the windows up.  The first set went up after a little hiccup, the second set went up slowly and the third set were a bear!  I pushed as hard as I could to get them open and all of a sudden my sweaty leg shot off the humid counter and I went flying off to the floor.  The worse body part hit was my left shin and it immediately started puffing up.

I tap my shin on anything, even softly, and make big whiney noises.  This time I did Lamaze breathing techniques, hoping I wouldn't hyperventilate.  Seeing as how I was already on the floor, in front of the freezer, I crawled over and grabbed a gel pack and put it on my shin.  I kept thinking I had better raise my leg, but since I wasn't bleeding, wasn't sure it applied.  I mean, I took no medical courses in high school.

I sat there wondering if I had knocked myself out, how long it would be before someone discovered my body.

I slowly hobbled out to the garage and got the can of WD40 and sprayed the crap out of every single one of the window frames, something I should have done 4 years ago when we moved in.

Needless to say, I didn't go back into the workout room.  My poor body can only stand so much.

Pam   

No comments:

Post a Comment