Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Peppers and Strawberries and Squash, Oh My!

I was back in the dirt today.

Yesterday after going to the mall to return a pair of jeans, stopping at Target for misc. stuff and perusing the garden center, I came home and planted 8 jalapeno pepper plants in the main garden.  I have NO idea how many peppers this will give me, but I want to try canning candied jalapenos this year.  I wouldn't mind pickled jalapenos, too, but I haven't found a recipe for those yet.  I am thinking I have some time.  The new plants are planted next to 4 green pepper plants and 4 yellow pepper plants.  (Hopefully...I started them from seed and you never can be too sure how many of those will come up.)

The day before, I had cleared a large area for the peppers and had also planted my squash and peas.  I am doing a mixture of square foot gardening and traditional rows along with Ruth Stout's mulch method.  Since I had just started the mulching process, I still had quite a bit of weeding to do.  The garden has grass with roots that reach hell, I think.  I don't know what it is called, but Ruth Stout mentioned a grass in her book called Witch Grass and if this isn't it, it should be called that, too. Being me, I just looked it up and no, that isn't it.

Today I planted oregano and strawberry plants next to established strawberry plants and rosemary in the side garden.  I had a lot to weed and the edging material had sunk down almost even with the driveway, so I pulled all that up, reconnected it together, cleaned out the edge and repositioned it.  I dug holes in the dirt where I wanted the plants to be and half refilled the holes with compost from under the rabbit hutch.  The dirt under the hutch is black gold and I could hear the strawberry plants moaning in ecstasy when they were planted.  I watered and then more of the compost was added to even out the soil.  I swept leaves along the garden bed and sides of the driveway and mulched the plants with the leaves and stood back to marvel at my handiwork.  Nice!

I still need to clean out weeds from the driveway cracks and along the side of the house and garage.  I also have 3 tomato plants and 5 peanut plants to plant in the big garden in the backyard tomorrow along with multiple other seeds since we have now entered March.  (beans, cucumbers, onions and cantaloupe.)

I sat down and drew a diagram of where I wanted everything in the backyard garden today, but have decided, after talking to JR, I am not going to grow corn.  Back to the paper to reposition everything tomorrow after running.

Today I worked out with one of Jari Love's first workout DVDs.  It is primarily a strength workout with weights, (lighter weights with a lot of reps).  I like her, but all this garden work and 5K stuff is wearing me out.  I kept up, but was dragging today.

JR was supposed to come home, but was detained in Canada another day with work problems, so Kimbre and I went to the mall tonight and successfully found a prom dress for her at Cache.  It looks beautiful on her and is a deep plum color.  We'll only have to alter the length and be good to go.  She also chose a gorgeous bracelet and necklace which looked fantastic with her coloring and the dress.  Kimbre knew the cashier, so she gave us a coupon worth $60 off the total, which was wonderful!  Happy Happy Joy Joy!

After a quick stop at Panda Express to inhale Orange Chicken, we went to Pets Mart where I found a cat bed for half off, a ring made out of tennis ball material that squeaks, a bitter spray to keep Dexter from chewing my table and chairs, 2 huge 42 lb. containers of cat litter, Natures Miracle spray for accidents which is supposed to completely remove any smell to inhibit marking behavior, a huge Nylabone for Dexter to chew and 2 new collars.  One collar is for Dexter since he is outgrowing the one I just bought him and a new collar for Simon. We weighed him tonight and he has gained 5 lbs already!  Holy cow!

Back home to discover a note from my sister Alison telling me wonderful news about her being pregnant.  If anyone should have a baby, it is her!  I'm very excited for her and her husband. 

Kimbre talked with Schmelz for awhile and then headed to bed after helping clean up a mess Dexter made.  What a gal!

And with that, I am off to bed.  I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open and even though the cats think now is a good time to play chase, I don't. 

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment