Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ch Ch Ch Changes

I think we're going to actually do it.  I don't precisely know when, but I think we are going to make the move to Giddings.

We have talked about this for years, but when all 3 of your daughters are in the area and 1 is attending high school, the idea of a move seems fun, not a serious proposition.  But now, 1 daughter is planning a move to San Antonio, another has moved to College Station and the 3rd...well, I'm not sure where she is headed, but everyone is moving out.

We love it out there, even when it is dry and brown and ugly.  It is peaceful and ours.  We are at the end of a road, surrounded by trees on 3 sides and a deep pond on the 4th and the privacy is incredible.  Of course, I am living next door to a dog that won't let me cross my backyard without barking it's fool head off, but to walk along the trails and down to the creek without my neighbor blowing smoke in my direction or attempting to quiet his dog is pure bliss.

We have had a call into a well guy for the last few months to come drill a well, but the last time he was in the area, JR had to go overseas and the well guy hasn't been back our way yet.  He will have to drill approx. 600 feet to hit good water and it will cost a pretty penny.  When I sold the bookstore in Feb, we put the money aside for this and have been patiently waiting ever since.  We have been bringing 30 gallon jugs filled from our home here, which JR empties into the camper for washing up, ever since we bought the place.  It will be so nice once we have a direct supply of water.  It's one thing less we have to pay or worry about when we do move.  We could hook up to city water, but we plan to do a lot of planting of fruit and nut trees plus have a large garden and the thought of having to owe each month forever and ever is not very self sufficient sounding.

There is a lot to do here before we move.  We have a few house projects in the works and have a few more we have to complete before we put the house on the market.  We also need to find a house plan we want to build out in Giddings. This is no easy task.  I know what I want, but after looking at the plans for awhile I start questioning everything.  Then JR will take a look and throw his ideas out there and I'll get even more confused.

I have a strong desire to save money and not waste it on frivolous things.  I am not a big spender by nature, but even now, as I look on paperbackswap at books, I think, "I don't really need that.  I have hundreds of books to read here in the house already."   This is a foreign idea to me...too many books?  What a preposterous idea!  What has gotten into me?  :)

I don't know why, but it seems like it's really going to happen.  It might take a year or two getting everything set, but we are actively trying to move in this direction.  JR is going to complete the dock he started, we are going to get the well dug, and he is going to get started building a shed for the 4 wheeler, trailer and misc. huge space stealers, like the generator, the chipper, and things like that.

I have been trying to declutter, as always, but with a renewed vigor.  I'm only keeping my favorites, the most used and passing on the rest to family or friends or donating to a charity.  I'm cooking almost all meals instead of going out to eat, I'm deleting store emails and removing myself from tempting lists.  I'm still gardening and watching grocery store sales, but mostly, I'm not spending unless it has to do with improving this home or Giddings.  And that feels good.

It feels great to have a purpose, something to strive towards.  I am in no hurry, but I am excited, all the same.

Till next time,
Pam
       My dirty feet last weekend in Giddings.  The pond is shrinking and I got way too close to the edge. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment