Friday, September 16, 2011

Homebody

I love being at home, always have.  I like the fact that I have time to stay on top of  most things.  I love reusing, recycling, making things from scratch and let's face it, this takes time.  I like having my photos organized, my dogs walked, my flowers watered and my floor vacuumed.  I like doing it myself.  I like trying new recipes and so much goes into this, finding the recipe, buying the ingredients and learning how to make it.

I read a while ago that in the olden days people had servants or the woman didn't work outside the home and that's how these things got taken care of.  With dual income households nowadays people resort to services to clean their house, clean their pool, mow their lawn, organize their houses, etc., which costs money, which requires a second income which requires you to be gone from your home.  This is fine for some people, but it isn't my style.

I am constantly trying to eat healthier, eat more fruits and veggies, back off refined foods, have things that are good for us prepared and waiting for our hungry bodies to grab them.  I try growing our fruits and vegetables and fail more often than succeed, but the process warms my heart.  The planting, the digging, the observance of the first green shoots breaking through the ground and if I actually can eat off the plant, what joy that brings me!

I do not use chemicals in my garden, none.  I make compost from kitchen scraps and have 3 rabbits who provide me with a little extra oomph.  I collect leaves and grass clippings and sprinkle coffee grounds on my acid lovers and bananas under my roses.  I collect the hair from my brush along with the eggshells from  my breakfast and give them to my tomatoes.  I love doing this.

I am an avid reader on all things considering self sufficiency.  I like books on apocalyptic events and how people survive.  If there is a gadget that is non-electric, I want to have it.  I collect hurricane lamps anytime I see one marked down at a store and I have oodles and oodles of books on returning back to basics.  I don't want the way things are to end, but I love learning how to survive if they do.

We have 22 acres out in the country and have plans that include an off grid lifestyle.  We have electricity and plan to keep electricity, but as we build and mold the property into a second home, we are looking into solar, wind, water and other resources to sustain a comfortable life out there if something were to happen.  It excites me.  It makes me feel good.  Even here, when I save the water from my shower and water my thirsty flowers.  When I take a bucket of rain water out to my peppers it makes me feel...independent, like I have some control over how things go.

Let's face it, it's a crazy world we live in and if I enjoy learning how to take care of me and my family the old fashion way, all the power.  You just never know.

Til next time,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. Great blog...you are my hero. I'll never be able to be like you...but you are my ideal!! God Bless you and yours Pam.. : ) gle

    ReplyDelete