Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Trail Hiking

Yesterday was book club at my house and we chose A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson as our read for May.  I haven't been able to stop researching through-hike trails ever since.  (Bill Bryson walked the Appalachian Trail.) 



The idea intrigues me.  Five to Seven months to walk a 2100 mile trail is amazing and something that is more than a little scary to me.  Actually, just about everything is scary to me.  But how fun and what a sense of accomplishment that would be.  WOW!!!  The only thing that would definitely turn me off  is if there is a lot of high cliff type areas where you could fall to your death.  Things like that don't appeal to me at all.

I dug around looking for other trails, (there are many), after familiarizing myself with the Appalachian Trail and found another called the Foothills Trail in SC.  It is a 77 mile hike and the photos I have seen are breath taking.  It would take approximately 5-7 days to walk it, but where the Appalachian Trail has a lot of stores and restaurants not terribly far from the trail, the Foothills Trail is more remote and you have to carry the whole hike's food and supplies with you.

JR is interested, but we are a little swamped at the moment with all of Kimbre's activities.

Isn't it funny how you don't have any desire to do something and then you see a movie or a book or a billboard and all of a sudden you have this burning desire to experience whatever it is you saw?  It almost consumes you.  My whole day has been shot.  I've eaten a ton of food because every journal I read about the different trails talks about food and how hungry you get and it is putting me in the mind set that I'm starving when in fact I'm not at all!

Back to laundry and maybe a nap...researching is tough work.  :)

Pam

     

No comments:

Post a Comment