Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Book Club, Morgan's Return, Tressa, Regionals and More

Wow!  What a busy few days.  Actually, I haven't had many calm moments since I closed the store.  Maybe that is a good thing. 

Today book club met at our house to discuss The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  It didn't get very good reviews and we all agreed we were trying to make it better than it was.  Yes, we should all follow our dreams.  Yes, you shouldn't let set backs deter you.  Yes, persistence will pay off because for every road block you come up against, there is a solution and it will make you stronger and wiser and possibly the set back is leading you in the direction you should have been going.  But...it was a little dull about 1/2 way through and a little repetitive.  It was inspirational, but not super motivating.  Out of the 6 of us present, only 3 read the book with one having read a different book with the same title.  lol  Next month we will be discussing Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. 

We received a call from Morgan, who is in Hawaii, saying she wanted to come home.  I did my typical number of trying to rearrange the whole house to make room for her while JR jumped through hoops trying to get her a ticket without losing an arm in the process.  I moved my stacks of books 4 times and if you think this is an easy feat, it isn't.  I have a LOT of books!  They are exactly where they started right now.  We got a couch from Brenda to discover it didn't fit in the hall/doorway to the office, so that idea was out.  I was thinking of getting a smaller size couch for the office to use for reading and occasional sleep overs anyway, but we haven't had time to go look yet.  It will be good to have her on the mainland again.

Kimbre swam gang busters at regionals and really did a terrific job.  She worked so hard all year and ended on a super note...now on to water polo!  (Don't ask specifics unless she happens to be standing here, because I don't know them off the top of my head.)

Last night after regionals, (we actually scooted out before the last relay), we met Wes and Tressa at The Melting Pot in Houston as part of her gift for working the store for me on Mondays.  It was interesting.  Every course, except salad, was a fondue course.  It tasted great and I'm glad we went, but I don't think I would probably do it again.  It was quite pricey.  It was unique enough the price was justified, but not enough for a second trip...I don't think so anyway.  We had good conversation and a fun time.  By the way, Tressa is looking for a job, if anyone is hiring.  Morgan, too, actually.  :)

Today I could use a nap, especially after eating cake, crackers, bread, etc.  I woke up running, taking Henri in to the vet for his neuter, vacuuming, feeding rabbits, walking dogs, wiping down counters and spots here and there, washing dog beds and animal throws all in preparation for book club.  The book we chose was available at Boomerang Books, which I let everyone know and low and behold, he now has a post asking if anyone would like to start a new book club at the store.  Imagine that...lol 

I have actually started reading Ruth Stout's book How to Have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back.  It is about mulch gardening, instead of tilling.  It's very interesting.  She doesn't even keep a compost pile, she just tucks her kitchen and garden refuse around existing plants or layers it on the areas of the garden she isn't utilizing at the moment.  There are more current books called Lasagna Gardening and such, but this one is one of the first using this method, besides Plowman's Folly by Edward Faulkner. 

I have to admit, I have one of the magnetic bookmarks and because the book is old, it is ripping the stinkin pages.  I think I'll stick to a regular laminated bookmark or scrap of paper I have instead.

I do believe I'll rest a bit.  GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment