Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pruning Pam

JR and I both look like the Passion of the Christ, him from fixing 2 barbed wire fences yesterday in Giddings and me from pruning the citrus trees today.  We're such a cute couple with our red stripes up and down our hands and arms.

JR used a comp day yesterday and we decided to go to Giddings, our 22 acres approximately 2 hours away.  It was nice, but I had a sleepless night the night before and woke up bright and early with Kimbre.  I worked out with Jackie Warner and then headed out the door with JR, a little tired.

Talk about a slug!  We stopped at Jack in the Box for lunch and I tried their new fish sandwich, which I'm not sure was actually fish, but it tasted good. We shared curly fries and egg rolls, too.  We arrived at Giddings and did our walk around and I was dragging ass.  I walked over to the camper and made myself some coffee and then we drove the FJ to the area where JR wanted to fix the fence.  We call it the Picture Spot. When we first bought the property, the owner had cleared all the brush out of that area and there were tons of HUGE trees which led to Nails Creek.  It was really pretty and I said, "This looks like a picture spot."  Hence, the name.  lol

JR started chain sawing the tree that had fallen on the fence, which was allowing cows to make their way over to our acreage, and I grabbed a book and started reading...for about 10 minutes until I fell asleep.  I woke up to him finishing up and it looked great!  We drove to the pond to another fence that needed repair and he started in on that one while I read my Gardening Solutions book.

Our neighbor, Tim, is a super nice guy.  He would do anything for you if you asked and has gotten us out of a bind more than once.  (Being stuck in the mud being our primary bind).  But Tim is a bit of a junk collector, especially old car, bus, RV and truck parts and his 5 acres is littered with more metal than I can count.  He collects most of it along our shared fence line with him and we have never ever cut any trees away from that area nor do we ever plan to.  Thank God for Cedars.

Tim and his son, Colton, had decided to park their canoe and boat on our side of the fence, which was very easy to do, since the barbed wire on the fence was broken from being in the water and from Tim running into it with the tractor.  I saw the boat and canoe the last time we were there and made a fuss, but JR didn't want to move them back to Tim's side.  They were still there this time and I just walked over to them and started moving them without asking JR.  He came over and helped and said he would fix the fence, so it didn't look like we were obnoxious.

I understand what JR is saying, but our neighbor is a junk collector and his stuff is staying on his side.  I don't care what it is.  If he had a place all cleaned up and taken care of, I wouldn't mind half as much if he wanted to launch from our side of the fence, but he doesn't.  Call me a B.

As JR was fixing the fence, Tim walked up and was nice as usual.  He made about 5 comments about his trespassing on our property and we just smiled.  That's right, Samson and Son,  the mortgage is in our name and the junk stays on YOUR property.  lol

We headed home, stopping in Brenham, a sweet old fashioned town, at The Coliseum, an Italian restaurant.  I guess I was feeling like throwing caution to the wind because I scarfed down my salad, 2 yeast rolls and a huge plate of angel hair pasta and meat sauce in record time.  If JR would have suggested dessert I would have so been there!  But I didn't want to push my luck.  I was already feeling bloated.

I head bobbed all the way home, put some stuff away and fell right to sleep at 10pm with no wake-ups.  Yay!

I woke up with Kimbre this morning at 6:30, did the morning thing and then went to the workout room to start running on the tread mill while watching The Waltons.  I love that show.  I had NO energy.  Maybe I over carbed on cruddy carbs yesterday because I didn't feel like running at all and had to force myself to finish.  I stayed on 30 minutes, walked the dogs with JR and then went back in to the workout room to try out a new workout DVD called "10 Days to a Better Body."

I played the 30 minute upper body version and HOLY CRAP!  I was sweating like crazy!  The whole 30 minutes was 1 minute cardio, 1 minute strength.  I LOVED it!  LOL  I will definitely be trying the lower body version after my next run.  I got this workout from swapadvd.com.

I filled another quart jar with cut up grapefruit we had gotten from the Schaefers and made some hummus, then went to the backyard to start my yard work.  I mixed up the grapefruit peels and other kitchen scraps into my compost bucket and added more rabbit droppings. I LOVE making compost!  It's weird, but I do.

After looking up how to prune a citrus tree this morning, I was pretty confident I knew what the heck I was about to do to the trees.  I say this, but last year I pruned back a grapefruit tree and totally killed the poor thing. I did prune all 4 trees/bushes and I must say, they look very nice.  I'm hoping I didn't kill them.

Walking around to the front of the house, I started pulling up dead ferns and spider plants from around a pond the previous owners had placed in front of the workout window.  I do NOT know what to do with this thing.  I'm going to have to do some research on plants and flowers or at least get some fish and stick them in, so it doesn't breed mosquitoes. We don't need any help in that department down here!

I cut down the banana trees, which were dead anyhow and do not belong in a front yard.  I am hoping JR will dig those out for me soon.  Moving along the front of the house, I cut back the dead Cannas, spider plants and asparagus fern and weeded out some of the bed.  I filled a huge trash can, which will be picked up tomorrow.

After showering, I debated bringing Simon, (Yorkshire Terrier, Schnauzer mix), to get groomed, but was thinking of school traffic and having to go to the grocery store and decided to make him an appt. for tomorrow instead.  Besides, I was tired.

Off to make dinner.  Tonight we are actually having the stuffed chicken I prepared 2 nights ago, a salad, broccoli and rice and whatever else I can dig up.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment