Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hot tubs rule!

Yesterday I was talking to my friend, Nancy, about exercise and running and she mentioned every year on her birthday, Feb 26, she runs a 10K.  This year she had decided to do the 5K (3.1miles) and wanted to know if I wanted to run, too.  It isn't like I don't think I can do it, because I know that I can.  I run 5K's on the treadmill every so often as part of my running schedule.  It's that I am a total wiennie when it comes to new experiences.  I'm not talking going into a museum I have never been or eating a different type of food, but anything physical I balk at.

You should see me when I get a new exercise dvd.  I read the cover and put it off and after I finally commit to doing it, I wait the whole time for something awful or too hard.  Yep, wiennie. Of course, once I do it, I realize I didn't die and they didn't torture me.  It is just a work out DVD like all the others. 

I signed up for the 5K with trepidation and it is only 2 weeks away.  I don't think anything I do now will prepare me for a 5K in 2 weeks.  In a few minutes I am going to go outside and see if I can run a 5K on our street, (4.5 circles is approx. 3.40 miles), rather than the treadmill.  I'm waiting for it to warm up a little outside first because I hate the cold.  I'm a little concerned the run will turn me off because it won't be easy.  It never is for me.

After talking exercise, Nancy and I decided to grab a bite to eat at Estebans where we shared a fajita plate and then headed to her house to hop in her hot tub while Mike ran back and forth adjusting controls and whatever else people do behind the scenes of a hot tub.  Ahhhhh.  Bliss.  There is something about being outside in super cold weather and soaking in a hot tub while sipping wine.  We stayed in until we were prunes and then I returned home.

Nancy and Mike have a grapefruit tree along with our friends, Flo and Bill, and they are both more than generous with sharing the fruit.  Nancy told me they cut up a bunch of grapefruit and put them in a container with the juice to have when they are wanting some.  It saves the hassle of having to cut and squeeze the grapefruit every time you want one. I don't know why I never thought of this.  It is really smart! This morning I cut up 6 or so grapefruit and put the juice and fruit in a large canning jar to be ready when I want some.  I also chopped up the rinds for the compost pile, so no waste here!  I love self-sufficiency!

Off for torture...more later, perhaps.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment